Home » » Brit Hume's radical idea: "I was trying to develop a show that wasn't about me"

Brit Hume's radical idea: "I was trying to develop a show that wasn't about me"

Written By mista sense on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 | 7:42 AM







I'll say it again--Brit Hume is one of my heroes, and not just because he's the coolest newsman ever (is there anyone else you know who can turn the salutation "Sir" into an imprecation, when warranted? As in, "Sir (let me be clear here with this BS you're trying to hand me on national television..)" So check out Howard Kurtz's extensive profile of the Fox News "Special Report" anchor in today's Washington Post. If you're already a fan of Hume's, you'll become even more of a fan, and if you're not, you'll still respect him.

I take issue with Kurtz's assertion, however, that Hume has "an aura of self-confidence bordering on cockiness." It's not cockiness if you can back it up!

And Kurtz does subtly try to stir the pot and start a fight between Hume and Bill O'Reilly:

Hume is no partisan brawler in the mold of some of Fox's high-decibel hosts. By virtue of his investigative background, his understated style and his management role, he represents a hybrid strain: conservatives who believe in news, not bloviation, but news that passes through a different lens, filtered through a different set of assumptions.

But then, any profile of a personality at a cable news channel that routinely whips CNN, the author's other employer, in the ratings is going to include some kind of backhanded compliment/benign skullduggery. Other than that, Kurtz has done a pretty good job writing about Brit Hume the man AND Brit Hume the kickass journalist.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad