Home » » Harry Shearer on the decline of news: Meet Apocalypse Rita

Harry Shearer on the decline of news: Meet Apocalypse Rita

Written By mista sense on Friday, April 28, 2006 | 11:01 AM



Harry Shearer tells the Seattle Times that the state of journalism is getting worse then he ever thought possible, and this means you, Rita Cosby:

SHEARER: I'm a news junkie and I watch or listen to the news, and every single one of them [Rather, Jennings, and Brokaw] kind of drove me crazy in a different way, so I got it out of my system by making fun of them. And I think their sort of united departure in a strange way put an end to a period where they really did set the agenda for what people thought was happening in the world.

SEATTLE TIMES: Seems like Anderson Cooper and Nancy Grace are signs the species is fading out.

SHEARER: Yes, and is not being replaced for the better. I speak as someone who thought it couldn't get worse, and I'm finding to my dismay it can.

SEATTLE TIMES: Are you talking specifically about Rita Cosby?

SHEARER: Well, Rita and Anderson, frankly. I think the decline is from a group of people whose pose was, "We know more about the world than you do because we can always put on our safari jacket, jump on a jet, 10 hours later get off at a trouble spot, ask four members of the crew, 'What's the mood here?' and then do a live standup about it" — to a world in which a guy does the same thing but now the pose is not that he knows more than you but that he feels more than you. It's the Oprahfication of the news.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad