Home » » Meredith Vieira: "I'm crazy"

Meredith Vieira: "I'm crazy"

Written By mista sense on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 | 9:08 AM

TCG is not making this up. New "Today" show host Meredith Vieira tells Gail Shister "I'm crazy. I hold things in a lot. I let things fester more than they should. I'm a worrier by nature. It doesn't serve me well."

Now, I understand that "I'm crazy" is commonly used as a charmingly-intended, self-deprecatory figure of speech. I also understand that calling yourself crazy is good publicity, if you are a Marilyn Manson or 50 Cent type and your album is hitting stores tomorrow and you need everyone to know just how baaaaaaad and unpredictable you are. But the "Today" show is not a music star's world tour with a lot of pyrotechnics and gyrating back-up dancers. "Today," and all morning news shows, are basically meant to be a mostly lighthearted yet grounded touchstone in the viewer's kids/commute/find a clean suit/walk the dog/ooops car is due for inspection crazy morning. I agree with Vieira that if she says the word "boobs" the world will not end. But most people watching morning news don't "like to live on the edge," as Vieira says she does in the Shister piece. Meredith Vieira seems like a very nice person and all that. She was a perfect fit on "The View," that bastion of introspective emotion. But as far as "Today" goes....I'm skeptical. People don't want emotion in the morning. They want information and some fun, and not only is emotion not fun, the opposite of fun is emotion.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad