Retro-Stylie

Written By mista sense on Friday, April 20, 2007 | 4:51 AM

Recently on AV Club Games, excellent reviewer Chris Dahlen assessed a retro-looking PC adventure called The Shivah, which is apparently a Yiddish noir story (yeah, you heard me right). I'd probably take a title like this for a spin if only for the look of it, which (as you can see from the screenshot) puts one strongly in mind of old-school King's Quest title.

I'm as guilty of any (young) Gen X-er of being trapped in the nineties, so I beg your indulgence while I engage in the typical pastime of wistfully sighing, "man, games were awesome back then". Those Sierra on-Line adventure games used to take me months upon months to actually solve-- granted, I was not the fearsome gaming dynamo of greatness that I am today, but even still, these games managed to be damn difficult without being tedious-- is it just me, or is that a rarity today? Seems today that when a game is "hard", it's just "hard to stick with", either due to excessively complicated controls, unfair odds, or massive, static levels.

One of the most difficult games I ever played was another Sierra title, The Colonel's Bequest. It's a satisfying challenge to beat, but the fun part is beating it "right", and solving the entire mystery. This is a game where, when my sister was able to do what I throughout my teens was not-- get into the basement and discover the bodies hidden in the wall-- she actually took a screenshot with her cell phone to email me, lest we ever forget her momentous accomplishment. All this over a mystery-adventure-- now that was a game. They just don't make 'em like they used to. --Or do they? If you've played a recent game that was hard in a good way, I'd love to hear your comments-- and if you yawned your way through Colonel's Bequest and laugh at my youthful ineptitude, I'd like to hear that, too.

Speaking of retro, the good people at Wired's Game | Life bring us what is most likely the complete list of upcoming Virtual Console titles. I'm psyched for Bonk and Wonder Boy in Monster World, especially the latter's fantastic music.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad