Home » » The bearded ladies of national news?

The bearded ladies of national news?

Written By mista sense on Monday, July 17, 2006 | 7:15 AM






A very funny letter to advice columnist Amy in this morning's Newsday:

Dear Amy: I was pleased to see someone else as bothered as I am about the long, ugly hairstyles worn by female television announcers such as Paula Zahn, Elizabeth Vargas, Katie Couric and too many others who are influenced by their hair stylists. I call them the Bearded Ladies as their hair surrounds their chins like Osama bin Laden.

-- Hate Their Hairdos in D.C.

Dear Hate Their Hair: Though comparing Katie Couric's looks to Osama bin Laden is surely a first, a surprising number of readers agree with you on this one. I seem to be in the minority of people who either don't notice or don't mind how newsreaders wear their hair.

But associating Katie Couric and Osama bid Laden is so absurd, I'm surprised no readers have made note of Brian Williams' uncanny resemblance to Marie Antoinette.


Now, before I get any outraged emails about what a misogynist pig I am, let me point out that I am actually a very fashion-conscious female and therefore allowed to criticize the confoundingly ugly hairstyles of pretty women. What is that dumb little feathery flip around the chin? Why, ladies, why? You all make a ton of money, and have a lot of power and influence, if not ratings--if you can't sass your hairdresser for styling the equivalent of a dead cat on your heads each morning, who can?

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad