Home » » Please Hold The Line

Please Hold The Line

Written By mista sense on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 | 3:00 PM


Just wanted to note that I've been busier than usual recently and have gotten more emails than I'm used to; If you've written me an email and I'm slow to respond, please bear with me.

Lately I've gotten a lot of career-minded emails from people who want to know how I got into game journalism, my advice on breaking in or if I can evaluate their work. I feel a karmic obligation to answer each and every one of these -- I used to be on the other side of things, writing to lots of bloggers and editors for help and feedback before I was doing very much professional writing about games. And I firmly believe I would have never had the courage to start out if one such editor hadn't taken lots of time to write back to me.

Maybe one of these days I'll make some kind of FAQ post with my answers to the common questions people have about becoming a writer. I hesitate though, because I don't really feel comfortable with the idea that I'm someone who should be advising others, necessarily, as I'm always focused on progress I want to make and things I need to learn.

Until then, I'll try to answer all of the questions that I can -- but please don't be insulted if I don't have time for a long ongoing correspondence, or if I don't return IMs. These days, if I'm on the computer it's usually because I'm working, so if I don't answer something, just assume I'm busy and I've done my best.

That's not to discourage anyone from writing me, though -- I love getting feedback, I love when people are motivated to share their opinions with me and I like to feel like I know my readership. Just be a bit patient if it takes a while!

I've barely had time to update my sidebar's "Recent stuff of note" section, but I just did, finally, so if you're interested, you can see my favorites of the longer-form stuff I've been doing at Kotaku lately.

And, for whatever reason, it seems you can expect my occasional anime-related post headers to feature increasingly obscure references.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Ad

a4ad5535b0e54cd2cfc87d25d937e2e18982e9df

Ad